I watched "Temple Grandin" tonight and loved it! Beside being really well made (Claire Danes plays Temple and the movie won 7 Emmy awards), it is about an incredible person. Temple Grandin was born in the '40s with Autism, but at the time it was not a known disorder. Doctors told her mother that she would never learn to speak and she should be institutionalized. As Temple grew older, she discovered ways to deal with the behaviors associated her Autism and she excelled academically. She ended up graduating with a B.S., M.S., and Ph.D., and today she is a college professor in Colorado. She is an Autism activist and she was the first person to ever write down what it is like to have Autism (I really want to read her book now!).
I don't know if I thought this movie was so interesting just because I work with many children with Autism and I know how much of a mystery this disorder can be, but I really loved it. And one quote that stuck with me is that those with Autism are "different, not less." Anyway, if you can get your hands on this movie, I would highly recommend it!

1 comment:
Thanks Natalie!! I have seen this movie at RedBox and I wasn't sure what it was about so I just skipped over it, even though I like Claire Danes a lot. After reading what you said and watching the preview, I want to go watch it right now!! Thanks!!
Post a Comment