Tuesday, May 4, 2010

An Uplifting yet Awkward Night


The Uplifting:



Saturday night I had the opportunity to listen to an apostle of the Lord and two general authorities.  Elders M. Russell Ballard, William F. Reynolds, and Paul Johnson came to Riverside last weekend and requested to have a fireside for the Young Single Adults in the area.  I got to the church an hour early, not knowing what to expect, and the whole chapel was already full.  Luckily I got a soft seat, but I was shocked to see so many people there so early!  

I loved all of the talks that were given.  It was a very casual and comfortable meeting and lots of jokes were thrown around.  I don’t usually think of Elder Ballard as being a funny guy, but he was definitely cracking some jokes!  Some funny lines he had were: 

"Elder Oaks is 78 years old.  He's just a baby."
"We're a bunch of old apostles but we're pretty cool."

He focused on the word “desire” and talked about making sure we always have a desire to be better, to have a knowledge of the mysteries of God and of the gospel.  We also need to draw a line in our minds that we will not ever cross over so that we will not be deceived by anything.

***

The Awkward:

Just as I parked at the church and stepped out of my car, two people in my ward pulled up at the same time.  I have hung out with them a few times, and so I thought it was great that I had people to sit with at the fireside!  

Well I quickly realized that they were sort of on a date and I soon felt like the 3rd wheel.  I know the girl better, but of course I ended up sitting next to the guy all night.  It would have been fine, except that we arrived an hour early so there was a lot of down time to sit and talk!  

After the fireside, we all met up for a movie night at this girl’s house.  I knew a few people there, but as the night went on, more people showed up that I didn’t know.  This is definitely where my social skills are lacking… I’ve never been comfortable in large-ish groups where I feel like I don’t know everyone.  I was so glad once we finally started the movie so that we could all be focused on the same thing!   

1 comment:

Alan said...

I'm the same way Natalie. I have a hard time with big groups if I don't feel like I know everyone. That is so fun you got to listen to Elder Ballard!! Sorry this is Jessica I didn't realize I was logged onto Al's account until I tried to post.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...