Saturday, May 8, 2010

Mormon Helping Hands Day

 Today my ward was involved a statewide day of service called the "Mormon Helping Hands Day - Renewing California Parks."  I heard that 70,000 people were expected to help out across the state today!  After getting our awesome yellow t-shirts and having breakfast burritos, the plan was for us to re-roof a bathroom at one of the parks, but we had too many people show up to do that job.  So a bunch of us went to the city orange groves and picked up trash instead.  After several hours of walking through sand, spiderwebs, red ants, and cockroaches, I finished up very sunburned and dirty, but it was worth it!  The city of Redlands put on a barbecue lunch for all volunteers afterward, which was wonderful after working hard all morning!



I love these girls!!  I am in the Relief Society presidency with Kati (above) and Amber (below) so I have gotten to know them a lot better in the last few weeks.


Check out our "headquarters..." with plenty of water, gloves, and trash bags:

And the bathroom roof that part of my group was working on:

3 comments:

LeAnn said...

We just did something similar a couple of weeks ago, it was a lot of fun. If I was picking up trash in an orange grove I would have been tempted to pick oranges instead.

Natalie said...

LeAnn, I kept asking if we could eat the oranges. They just looked so good! But sadly they were not ripe yet...

Terry Family said...

cockroaches...now that's service!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...