Day 4 was our first day off the ship... in Juneau! Here we are just off the ship, ready to see our first city in Alaska!
The first place we went was Mendenhall Glacier. This glacier was about a 20-minute drive inland and it was so pretty! We spent some time at the visitors' center, then walked probably a mile out to this huge waterfall out by the glacier. There were massive chunks of ice floating the water and everything was very green. The hardest part of the walk was having to climb over all these boulders just before getting to the waterfall! It was fun, but kind of scary at the same time... but everything was well worth it once we got to the waterfall and the glacier!
On our way back from the waterfall, we had to walk across these stones in a stream. I told Paula that I would probably be the one to fall in the water... sure enough I lost my balance and got a shoe full of water! This picture is of my dad helping me across right after it happened. It was kind of uncomfortable having a wet shoe all day, but also funny that I called it before it happened!
(Me being pulled out of the water)Next we went on a tram ride straight up the side of the mountain for a beautiful view of the ocean and the city. I actually am terrified of trams and ski lifts and ferris wheels, etc... anything that moves slowly up high in the air! So I didn't feel so good after the ride, but it was so pretty up at the top of the mountain.
We spent the rest of the day shopping! The streets were lined with tourist shops, so of course I bought a couple of souvenirs: a hoodie, a beanie, an "I Heart AK" shirt and some silly little keychains. While I was busy shopping, my parents and my uncle Sam went out to Sarah Palin's house and the state capitol. I think I heard she was out hunting that day, but they said it was still neat to see where she lives!

Finally, after dinner my mom and I went out to look at the sunset. This sunset lasted for probably close to an hour, and this picture was taken at 11:20 pm!
4 comments:
That all is so beautiful. Sad that you really did fall in, I was hoping you would say someone else did. And that sunset sure is goregous!!
i'm adding my rocket maker partner to my blog... its about time!
jealous of alaska!--but you deserved it!
That sunset and those views are amazing!
wow this last pic is amazing
Post a Comment