Sunday, October 30, 2011

Life on the Farm

Well now that I have lived here in Turlock for almost 3 months I guess I should write about it!  I've had some of these pictures for months now, but just haven't gotten around to putting up on my blog.  Things are so different here than any place I've ever lived, so it's taken a little while to get used to it all.  In my mind, when I think of "California," I think beaches, amusement parks, etc.  But this part of California is basically farms, orchards, barns, and tractors!  Luckily I live in the city (I don't think I could handle living out in the country), but I work in a tiny town out in the farms so I drive through them every day.  At least San Francisco, San Jose, and Monterey are all about 1.5 hours away, so I'm still within distance of some exciting city life :)

Here are some of the everyday sights around where I live:

Lots of trains.  On my drive to work I think I pass over 5 or 6 train tracks.  And it's no fun getting stopped by a train when you are late for work (hence the picture below!):

I say it all the time, but I've literally never seen so many farms in my life.  The main crops (that I can tell) that grow around here are grapes, tomatoes, almonds, and corn.  And LOTS of them!  The good thing is there are lots of fruit stands around with good prices and delicious fresh fruit!
 
When I first moved here I couldn't get over the number of tomato trucks I saw.  Every day on my way to and from work I would usually get stuck behind one loaded full of tomatoes.  Tomato season must be ending because I don't see these quite as much anymore:

The speed limit on the back roads around here is 55 (but of course most people go faster), so getting stuck behind a tractor definitely slows things down!  Also, notice the corn on the sides of the road?  It's pretty much all cut down now, but when I moved here I could not believe ALL of the massive corn stalks!  I would guess they were 10-15 feet tall... much taller than my car.  I kind of felt like I was driving through a huge maze everyday to work!

Now that the corn is cut down, a lot of the fields are growing new crops.  I actually had to pull over and get a picture of this one, because speeding past I couldn't tell what it was.  I was shocked to see COTTON!  I've never seen a cotton plant, and always though of it as growing in the South.  Anyway, this field is in the little town where I work:

2 comments:

Shane and Stephanie said...

I had to laugh when I read this post, this is great! I would have never thought that these pictures would come out of California. Looks like you're living the dream Natalie! Love it.

Adam & Kenzie said...

Why couldn't you have lived there when I was still living in California!!! Ahhh, I'm so sad. I would have actually had a friend to hang out with!!! You should love farm living, its the best!!! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...