Monday, December 12, 2011

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year!

It never quite feels like Christmas when I'm in California... the weather is too warm (although it is much colder here than in southern CA) and the Fall leaves are still falling from the trees!  And even though I don't have a Christmas tree or lights strung up at my apartment, a few things have happened this week to make it the season feel a little more festive:


 
Sadly this is the only picture I have for this post, but this is the Christmas tree in the small town I where I work.  It's plopped down right in the middle of the main intersection of downtown ("downtown" is a little different concept here than other places... it's basically a street 3 blocks long, lined with small shops and restaurants and not a traffic light in sight).  I think the barricades are up because the big wind storm a few weeks ago knocked some ornaments off the tree.  Too bad I didn't get a picture before that!

Last night I sang in our stake production of Handel's Messiah.  We have been practicing for several months and our hard work paid off.  I'd never heard the whole piece before, but it was so beautiful and I have to brag say we did a great job!

Last Monday I went with some friends to sing Christmas carols at a rest home.  We had never rehearsed and kind of faked our way through, but the residents absolutely LOVED it.  They were singing along and every time we stopped they would yell "Keep singing! More, more!"

Christmas movies on Netflix and the Christmas station on Pandora.  Enough said.

At my staff meeting last week we focused on donating to the county food bank.  Instead of a gift exchange, we did a challenge exchange.  Our supervisor read her traditional "Right Family" story and we exchanged challenges such as Christmas Trivia and fill-in-the-blank song lyrics.  It was kind of cheesy but still fun!

I was able to take a friend from church on a little shopping spree to get clothes that would be appropriate to wear to church.  It was actually really fun and very successful... we found 13 clothing items for just over $50!  I love that the church is there to provide for those who need it and that I got to spend quality time with her.

Christmas Tree Lane... pictures to come!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...